Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Smoky Voiceovers

   Since the beginning of this project, I had always pictured a smooth, sultry male voice introducing the characters and even narrating the main conflicts on screen. Obviously I was inspired by Blaxploitation (come on, how could I not be it's so cool), but more specifically the trailer for Superfly is really what triggered this. I fell in love with this idea, especially because the cheesiness of the voice over would just strengthen the over-dramatic style I am striving for.  
Superfly movie poster 
   I was originally planning on the voice over being Thelonoius' narration as he is strutting throughout the party in search for the Queen herself. As mentioned previously, I had to change the gender of Thelonoius to female at the last minute due to a scheduling problem, thus my vision of the "jazzy male voice" belonging to this character would no longer work.  But, I still had planned on using her voice and recording the narration through her character's perspective as the audience learns more about the plot from the action onscreen along with antagonist's insight. However, with this project winding down and with Cassie being busy with her own project to work on, I felt it would be easier to instead record the voice over myself and change the perceptive to a third person narrative, making the film feel more like an epic story that is being unfolded right before the audience. I feel that by making it third person and using my voice, although it is definitely not as cool, would make the kind of style I am going for extremely clear and also make the production process WAY easier.


stay cool, kmp

No comments:

Post a Comment